Thursday, September 13, 2018

"Star-Studded," by Rich Proulx

Constructor's Comments

I have come across some really enjoyable puzzles where the heart of the cleverness lay hidden in the clues rather than in the grid.  I enjoyed trying my hand at this technique—so much so that I felt compelled to include it in six theme entries.  This led to difficulties setting the grid, particularly because the two 15-letter spans prevented placing a pair of the entries vertically.  I kept trying to space out the seeds to create breathing room.  As it turned out, keeping the two 15s close together in the center, and the remaining seeds atop one another, made for the most workable grid.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rich, for a nice puzzle. I filled out the grid even though I'd never heard of "Tie Fighters" or "Words with Friends." Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the Star Wars Universe and don't play computer games. I could not for the life of me catch on to the gimmick here. Mr. Steinberg eventually explained it to me. Good work.

    ReplyDelete