Thursday, July 19, 2018

"Prism," by George Jasper

Constructor's Comments

I had some trouble incorporating the PRISM reveal into the bottom section of the grid without having a ripple effect disrupt the last theme entry, one that I was finding difficult to replace.

David suggested using PRISM as the puzzle's title in order to keep the current theme entries intact, saving me substantial rework.


Editor's Comments

This puzzle's title is the key to understanding its theme:  The word prism can be reparsed as "PR is M."  Tricky!  In addition to finding four amusing theme entries, George mixed in six (!) long downs to spice things up.  I especially like TIM DUNCAN, DOT MATRIX, and LOOSE ENDS.

UNCLE ALBERT was a new one for this millennial, but after doing some research, I came to the conclusion that many solvers would know it.  After all, the song Uncle Albert is from hit #1 in the '70s, and his name is in both the lyrics and the title.  These are just some of the factors that go into my "Is this entry familiar enough?" decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment