Monday, July 16, 2018

"Shoptalk," by Ari Halpern

Constructor's Comments

I am so excited to have my first puzzle appear on the Puzzle Society page!  The idea for this crossword hit me one night when I was watching some awards show.  The host kept talking about the honorees.  It was one of those instances where he used a word so much that it began to lose meaning.  Suddenly it sounded like he was saying HONORESE, like a language that the award winners spoke amongst themselves.  In designing the puzzle, HONORESE was meant to be a theme answer, as this was the seed of the puzzle and my favorite entry.  Unfortunately, due to word length and symmetry restrictions, I just couldn’t get it in there.  Happily, the other entries were just as cute and more workable.


Editor's Comments

Being the first editor to publish a new constructor is always an honor—welcome, Ari!  Today's theme may be simple, but I got a chuckle out of these imaginary specialized languages.  The idea also feels novel, which hits on one of my favorite things about having an open market:  the diversity of theme ideas I receive.  Not all the ideas I receive ultimately pan out, but I love being able to run a daily crossword where you never know what's going to come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment