Friday, November 23, 2018

"Back Talk," by Annemarie Brethauer

Constructor's Comments

Snarkiness has been around for a long time, but there are always new ways to express your disbelief, boredom, smugness—to talk back.  However, this puzzle was meant to be a fun solve, not a nasty one.

My favorite fill words in "Back Talk" are SNOG and MOOED.  Also, I'm happy with the arrangement of the black squares in the grid, something I suspect most solvers don't concern themselves with (though my editors tell me otherwise).

As a fan of film noir, I was glad to be able to work in the clue [1955's "Kiss Me ___"] for DEADLY, though it got changed.  Now if I can only create a puzzle using THE GREAT WHATSIT, that film's MacGuffin.

I hope you enjoyed the solve.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely funny puzzle, Annemarie. I would have cheered if you'd been able to retain your KISS ME DEADLY clue/answer. Wild noir! Great work. Perhaps next you can work in Marie Windsor and THE NARROW MARGIN.


    David (Tucson, AZ)

    ReplyDelete